About the role – Chair of Expert Citizens CIC
Having been involved with the organisation since 2016, our present chair Oliver Standing, is soon stepping down.
We are now looking to recruit a proactive new Chair to provide leadership into the next phase of our journey. This comes during a particularly exciting phase as we are working alongside The Red Pencils agency to review and strengthen our governance and strategy – the new Chair will be therefore joining at the perfect time!
The chair will:
Lead our governance – ensuring the strengths and skills of the Board are harnessed to continue steering Expert Citizens on a bright and sustainable path.
Strengthen & develop our team – working closely with and providing strategic support to the CEO, to together lead the organisation.
Be an ambassador for lived experience – flying the flag for those experiencing multiple disadvantage in general and our brilliant organisation in particular.
Time commitment: approximately two days per month.
Remuneration: this is a voluntary position; travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Start date: the appointed Chair will attend our (online) January Board meeting alongside the outgoing Chair; handover details can be arranged.
- Value and honour lived experience in all aspects of the organisation’s work.
- Work with the Chief Executive Officer to develop Expert Citizen’s aims, strategic objectives, and goals; help ensure the organisation delivers its mission and acts in accordance with its constitution and the law.
- Provide leadership to the Board, ensuring that Expert Citizens is able to make best use of the talents and resources of all Directors, and the Board contains the necessary mix of skills.
- Develop an effective working relationship with the Chief Executive and Board that achieves the best balance of challenge and support.
- Support the work of the Chief Executive, including CPD and appraisal.
- Support funding opportunities and bids.
- Chair quarterly board meetings and attend other meetings where necessary.
- Act as an ambassador for Expert Citizens as required.
The Chair must demonstrate:
- A commitment to social justice, equity and inclusivity and a strong sense of the value of lived experience.
- An understanding of the experiences of the people we fight for and how multiple disadvantage shapes people’s lives, and the systems which support them.
- A record of effective and positive leadership at a senior level.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an empathic worldview.
- The vision and agility to help steer a small organisation, adapting to internal and external events.
- Good communication, interpersonal and networking skills, with the ability to influence and inspire confidence with stakeholders from widely varying walks of life.
- A willingness to get stuck in and demonstrate a pragmatic outlook on the realities of running an inclusive CIC.
Resources available to support the incoming Chair:
- Expert Citizens will cover the cost of membership to the Association of Chairs [www.associationofchairs.org.uk].
- Expert Citizens can provide access to sector specific training and development if required.
- The Expert Citizens Board of Executive and Non-Executive Directors hold a wide range of skills and expertise to share. Our Directors are committed to effecting real change for people who experience multiple disadvantage.
- The outgoing Chair is happy to arrange a handover and be on hand to support where appropriate.
Does this sound like you?
How to Apply
The role of Expert Citizens chair is likely to appeal to a pragmatist with a real interest in learning from others – especially those with lived experience – and a strong ambition to make a difference for and with the thousands of people whose skills and wisdom have been too often overlooked by a society focussed only on their needs. We are particularly interested in those with strong business development and commercial skills.
To apply please send: a CV (curriculum vitae), letter of application (not exceeding 1,000 words), and contact details of two references to Non-Executive Director Tony Fryer at email@example.com by 22.11.20. Interviews will take place online in early December.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST